When it comes to things like blood pressure, it’s very important that you have your levels checked regularly. Although it may not seem like a vital step in your health, it is. If you have issues with blood pressure, you may experience illness such as nausea, fatigue, and even blurred vision. These things can affect how you live your everyday life and you want to make sure that you are living the highest quality of life possible in order to obtain happiness. Our Orlando physicians at DNF Medical Centers can check your blood pressure levels and tell you if it is too high, too low, or perfect. If you experience symptoms such as dizziness or even fainting, it may be that your blood pressure is too low or too high and you should be checked out right away.
What Are Blood Pressure Levels?
It’s important to be educated about your blood pressure levels, especially if you have high or low blood pressure because you will need to know how to treat it. There are 5 blood pressure categories:
- Normal blood pressure- around 120/80
- Prehypertension (stages of early high blood pressure)- around 139/89
- Hypertension stage 1- This is when blood pressure consistently ranges from 140-159/90-99
- Hypertension stage 2- Blood pressure levels range from levels greater than 160/100. At this point, doctors will prescribe medication and suggest you implement lifestyle changes.
- Hypertension stage 3- If you have stage 3 hypertension, you will need medical attention. If your blood pressure is higher than 180/110 and you are experiencing symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath, or back pain, you should call 9-1-1 and seek medical help right away.
An Orlando physician Explains What These Numbers Mean
Now that you know what levels your blood pressure should be at, our Orlando physicians want you to understand what your blood pressure numbers mean. Your higher number which is the systolic blood pressure indicates how much pressure your blood exerts against your artery walls when your heart is beating. Your lower number, also referred to as diastolic blood pressure indicates how much pressure your blood exerts against the artery walls in between the heartbeats when your heart is resting. The systolic blood pressure number is what doctors will keep an eye on because it is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease. This is typical in people over 50, which is why the physicians at DNF Medical Centers will make sure to note any changes in your numbers. Although it is common for people over 50 to have high blood pressure, if you are younger, there is a chance you have high blood pressure so don’t count yourself out if your levels are high.
Have Your Blood Pressure Checked Today!
Now that you have a better understanding of your blood pressure levels, it is important that if you are checking your own blood pressure and notice spikes in your levels or they are much lower than they should be, you seek medical attention at DNF Medical Centers. Our Orlando physicians can treat your high or low blood pressure. To schedule an appointment or if you have any questions about your levels, contact us today at 321-235-6230 or visit our website dnfmedicalcenters.com.